With the massive amount of information and advice available, marketing your business can be an extremely confusing process. In the coming weeks, I’d like to invite you to join Sedulous Marketing in discussing some of the most common marketing myths. We’ll start out this week with Myth #10 – I should only hire marketers who specialize in my industry.
- Familiarity with the most commonly used marketing methods for your industry
- Often offer fine-tuned systems or packages that contain the basics of what you’ll need to market your business
- An understanding of commonly agreed upon industry methods and issues
- Fast and economical implementation
With all of these great benefits, one might think that it’s the most logical strategy to hire a marketer experienced in your field. However, other important considerations include:
- If a company has been marketing in your industry for any period of time, they are most likely are already familiar with and employing the “standard” marketing venues and strategies that you and all of your competitors are using, so this is an area where you may need little help.
- Just because you’re in the same industry, does not mean that you’re just like the others. There are many factors that affect how you should be marketing your business including: a) local demographics, b) differences in your product or service, c) differences in how you deliver it, d) your custom refinements to your target audience (are you targeting the luxury segment of a market, the tech, the youth, etc.) or should you be refining your audience? When considering these factors, it’s important NOT to take a “one-size-fits-all” attitude towards your marketing (or at least add some refinement to make it more effective.)
- While researching and refining a marketing campaign for a specific industry can be done with a bit of elbow grease, obtaining a diversified and resourceful overview of the big marketing picture and the huge benefits that can be obtained by combining strategies and venues in a creative way, takes years and a lot of experience to develop.
- Some of the most effective innovations in marketing, as well as in general business, are the result of adapting effective concepts and models from an unrelated industry.
With all of these factors in consideration, the greatest considerations in this matter are the goals you are seeking to achieve. If your business is looking to achieve substantial growth, avoiding the status quo and looking to leverage the strategies of varied industries, hiring a marketing firm with varied experience could be just the competitive advantage you’re looking for.